The Monmouth Pottery company was founded in 1892 in Monmouth,Illinois. Until 1906 when it was purchased by Western Stoneware Co. (they also acquired 6 other small pottery companies at around this time), Monmouth was noted for its utilitarian ware. Monmouth became the ‘Artware Division’ of Western Stoneware Co. This division was discontinued during the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Its mark, the maple leaf was used until 1930. If the words ‘Monmouth Co.’ appear as part of the mark, the piece was made before 1906. After that year, the embossed mark became ‘Monmouth Western Stoneware’, however a paper label may, on occasion, appear bearing the words ‘Monmouth Pottery, Monmouth, Ill.’ Many pieces produced in the late 1930s are unmarked, but are identifiable due to the glazes and the clay used in production.